Monday, March 17, 2014

America's Angel: Caylee Anthony

Caylee Marie Anthony (age 3)
Welcome to my first official case discussion. I've chosen this particular case to begin with because I'm sure most people are familiar with it and I'm looking to grasp your attention as soon as possible.

For those of you who have not heard of this story, or simply have forgotten the details, it is the story of a irresponsible mom (Casey Anthony) who loved to party and had been pregnant at the age of 19, with her daughter Caylee Anthony. When Casey wanted her old "fun" life back, she did what she had to do. In my opinion, as well as probably most others, I believe she killed her own daughter in cold blood. The only reason Casey is not in prison at this very moment, and is living a free life, is because of the Presumption of Innocence. There is not enough evidence to determine that she committed the crime 100%. That being said, she is off the hook.

Here is a simplified timeline of only few of the key events in the trial:

July 2008
Casey's mother contacted authorities to arrest their daughter for stealing their vehicle. Upon inspecting the vehicle after it's return to the owners, Mr. & Mrs. Anthony found that the trunk smelt like that of a body decaying. It is also brought to attention that their granddaughter had been missing for 31 days, with no records filed of a missing persons report.

This part alone drives me crazy. The thought of a mother not contacting police after her child's disappearance, to me is a red flag right away. The only reason the police were informed on this is because the child's grandparents were worried that something had happened to their grand daughter. If the grand parents hadn't contacted authorities, I wouldn't be surprised if the child's absence remained a mystery forever.

August 2008
The police took samples of air from the trunk of the vehicle and determine that it once held the body of a dead victim. Casey is arrested for suspicion of child neglect.

December 2008
The body of Caylee Anthony was found in a  forest near the Anthony home. The body was found in a black garbage bag by a local resident. There was duck tape placed on the child's lower face as well as traces of chloroform in the bag.

May 2011
The defence attorney states that the child had drowned in the pool of her grandparents home in Orlando.

Which is a lie that they end up contradicting themselves with. For this lie, she is charged for giving false information to law enforcement.

July 2011
Casey is found guilty only for 2 counts of providing false information to law enforcement. As consequence, she serves one year of supervised probation.

Skip to 1:30 for the charges


I remember hearing about this case as a kid, and just thinking to myself how much of a rotten person she is. For a kid to conclude that she is guilty of murder, it should be pretty obvious for any adult to understand. It's cases like these that make me wish the Presumption of Innocence didn't exist. I don't  believe she planned any of it. I feel that she simply got lucky. I forgot to mention that her computer had a reoccurring research history of the word "chloroform" 84 times. As well as "foolproof suffocation".

After all the evidence that I've mentioned, plus all extra evidence I haven't mentioned in this blog, there's no way in my mind that this woman is not guilty of the murder of her little daughter. She has luckily, yet unfortunately, been given a second chance.


If you wish to learn more about this case, you should click here, it is a link to the CBC timeline which mentions every single event that took place in her case.

I'd love to hear your opinion, make sure you state your opinion anonymously through the polls !





Source(s)
-http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/04/us/casey-anthony-trial-fast-facts/
-http://www.cbsnews.com/news/casey-anthony-detectives-overlooked-google-search-for-fool-proof-suffocation-methods-sheriff-says/
-http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/14874887/casey-anthony-googled-word-chloroform-84-times




9 comments:

  1. Gee Whiz Aaron! I was a little skeptical of your blog topic at first but you've really proved me wrong. I love the fact that you only discussed what is absolutely important and did not burden the reader with too many dates. You should re-title this blog “Speculum” because it really opened my eyes. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this blew my mind, having a mother actually murder her own daughter is so screwed up that I have lost faith in humanity, but then I have regained it knowing that the grandparents actually reported it and weren't as irresponsible as the parents. She is obviously guilty and should spend life in prison and I am glad that there are people like you in this world who are trying to defend this little girl's life and pride by saying what's on your mind and just trying to do the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to read all the other murder cases you'll be covering Aaron!! I didn't follow this particular trial but just from watching the news she seemed guilty..You did a really good job at explaining the murder trial and shedding light on Casey Anthony and how she presumably got away. Good work buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Other than the sick twisted aspect of this entry, I really enjoyed how you put the case in a time line to make it easy to understand and follow. Also, I think it was a smart decision to keep the explanations sweet and simple and not clutter the text with unnecessary details that may have been confusing. Patiently awaiting the next case!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is actually the first time that I had ever heard of this. After reading this, I do think the mother had killed her child. Although, I can’t believe someone would do something like that. Who can look at their child and just decide to kill her in order to have her old life back? This is really upsetting to read but it’s also intriguing. I can’t wait to read more! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The worst thing that could ever happen in this world would be a child being taken away. Aaron I totally agree with you all this evidence and it still wasn't enough to put this mother in prison that's ridiculous. All I have to say is we are blessed to have parents that love us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aaron, I really enjoyed the way that you presented this case in your blog. I member hearing of this scenario in particular, but never really knew all of the details. I find it so disheartening that a mother could even think, let alone do that to her own daughter and I agree with you one hundred percent that she should have been found guilty. I look forward to reading your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love the way you presented this blog Aaron. The way you placed a time line to show hat has happen throughout the years in for that specific case. To be honest I agree that she should not be locked up if they do not have full evidence that she is the murderer. Hearing stories like this I am so thankful for the family I have and appreciate everyday I get to spend with them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is crazy, oh my God, I cant believe we live in a world like this, this sure is very interesting, ill be sure to stay posted on all your blogs and I hope you keep on making blogs long after this semester is over.

    ReplyDelete